Saturday 2 August 2014

This is the Water by Yannick Murphy

This is the forth novel I've read by the crazily versatile Yannick Murphy and was a bit hesitant as it is written in the second person present tense for a lot of it, but Murphy is so original I was drawn in despite myself.  This "you" is Annie, an insecure mother of 2 adolescents on a swim team that is being beset by a serial killer.  So far, so run of the mill mystery, you think - but not so.  Murphy has a gift for character as well as plot, unlike so many procedural mysteries, and this is what kept me invested.  It's like Murphy is turning the standard mystery on its head.  The killer and his psychopathic motives are revealed early.  So what we care about are the vulnerable, flawed parents dealing with consequences from their own fucked up behaviour, often satirically, which I always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment